NEWS UPDATE: We are proud to announce that in September 2010, Dr. Ulm became the first dentist in the State of Utah accredited with the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (www.iaomt.org). Accreditation requires a rigorous examination of mercury-safe practices and demonstrated knowledge of biocompatibility of materials, toxicity, fluoride, and nutrition, among other requirements. We are proud of this distinction and feel it accurately reflects our commitment to excellence in biological dentistry.
Biological or Holistic Dentistry is the practice of treating each tooth as a part of the larger whole, the human body, paying particular attention to the biocompatibility and nontoxicity of the materials and procedures used, and maintaining as much natural, healthy tooth structure as possible. We are proud of our dedication to providing not only affordable, but safe, dental care.
Biological vs. Conventional Dentistry
What is the difference between a general dentist practicing biological or holistic dentistry and a general dentist practicing conventional dentistry? It’s all in the approach – a gentler, integrative, more natural approach to your overall health through the philosophy that maintaining your natural teeth is the best solution to good oral health. This philosophy is supported by a conservative approach to fillings and other restorative procedures, maintaining as much healthy enamel as possible.
While all licensed dentists have received training in general dentistry at dental schools teaching conventional methods, Dr. Ulm has pursued extensive continuing education and research in the fields of mercury safety, biocompatibility and nontoxicity of materials, bioesthetics, biomimetic dentistry, ozone treatment, and more. This additional biological dentistry training enables Dr. Ulm to consider the health of the patient as a whole when designing an individual treatment plan. Dr. Ulm is Utah’s first accredited member of the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT) – the world’s foremost authority on dental material biocompatibility and toxicity in oral medicine. We are also willing to work with any health care provider you choose, and maintain a synergistic relationship between you, your providers, and our office to ensure you are getting exactly what you need.
The following are a few of the highlights of our biological dentistry practice:
- Mercury-Safe Dentistry: Synergy Dental is not only a Mercury-Free practice, but a Mercury-Safe practice. This means that we go beyond not using mercury filling material – Dr. Ulm is also extensively trained to remove mercury fillings safely. Using high-powered vacuums, dental dams, and supplemental oxygen, we follow the recommendations of the IAOMT, whose guidelines are set forth to make amalgam removal safe for the patient as well as the doctor, staff, and the environment. For more information on mercury fillings and safe removal, see please see our page on Mercury-Safe Dentistry.
- Ozone Treatment: Ozone treatment uses O3 gas, created using medical-grade pure oxygen to create a three-atom oxygen molecule. Ozone treatment has been used around the world for years and is widely recognized as a safe and effective method for treating a number of oral health issues. Our office uses one of the only ozone machines designed for dental applications in the state of Utah to disinfect, treat sensitivity, and harden compromised tooth structure. Read more about ozone treatment.
- Digital, Collimated X-rays for significantly diminished radiation exposure – up to 70% reduction in radiation compared to other digital xray systems. Read more about xray collimation.
- Fluoride-Free Dentistry: The IAOMT has compiled and conducted research which shows that fluoride taken systemically (as in the water supply) is not only ineffective, but can be dangerous to infants and small children. We have made the decision to eliminate fluoride from our practice in an effort to protect our youngest patients from the risks of fluorosis from excessive fluoride exposure. We are proud of our distinction as a fluoride-free practice, and offer ozone treatment during cleanings as a safe alternative to fluoride.
- Materials Reactivity Testing: We work with Clifford Consulting and Research, a laboratory specializing in blood analysis to determine reactivity to basic elements and commonly used dental materials. Results of these tests allow us to tailor your treatment to include only those materials which are safe to use specifically for you. Three of our team members are certified phlebotomists, so your blood draw can be done conveniently and safely right in our office.
- A Biological Approach to Root Canal Therapy: We use ozone as an integral part of every root canal we do, and recommend calcium hydroxide treatment to further ensure complete sterilization of the tooth. Read more about root canals, toxicity, and how a biological approach is different on our Root Canals page.
- Safer Extractions: Research has illustrated the importance of removing the periodontal ligament and debriding the bone around the tooth socket when extracting teeth, especially molar teeth and teeth which have previously had root canals. Read more about safe extractions.
- Partnering with Other Providers: We are happy to work with other health care providers, including physicians, naturopaths, homeopaths, chiropractors, herbalists, etc. you may visit in order to provide the most comprehensive care possible.
Still have questions? Call us today at (801)701-2211 and find out how biological dentistry can benefit your family.